Alright, I pinkie promised something more upbeat and you got it. I am actually feeling quite inspired by my favorite novel/movie ever, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
I relate to Elizabeth Bennet. She is the one who seems indifferent to men and their mild attempts at flattery, craving intelligent conversation and someone who is as unabashedly hopeless for romance as she is. Mr. Darcy, well, I have no equivalent in my life for him, but I too would love to meet a man who surprised me and could woo me without his even knowing it. Love I feel is something that cannot be bought or won; love is something that grows with the proper nourishment and patience. Most of all, love is a friendship. For once the looks and vanity are gone, what else do you have but an astounding friendship, respect and admiration for one another?
Marriages do not last in today's world and I feel that most of the reason is because people marry for all the wrong reasons. They marry for the passion, the flame and the false impression of a love that will stand the test of time; what they are missing is the companionship. The greatest lover are also the greatest friends. They already know your flaws and have already grown to accept them; they know what makes you tick and what fights are and are not worth the argument; they know not only who you are, but who you were, and from that they can see beyond the present and understand the direction you are going, nearly guaranteeing a happier life together. We have said c'est la vie to marathons and grown into sprints, not to be cliche, but have we not learned that slow and steady wins the race?
I will end with one of the most romantic love stories I have ever known:
Once upon a time in a small Massachusetts town, Lowell, a two best friends went to college and met the loves of their lives. They were in each other's weddings and their children grew up knowing each other. Well, one of the men ran off with another woman, leaving his wife and her children. His wife was a brave woman, who refused to be made a fool by an unfaithful husband and being quite modern for the late 1950's... she divorced him. Meanwhile, the other man's wife got very sick and ended up passing away. He ran into his former best friend's, now ex-wife, and found out what had happened. They went out for dinner and decided to help each other out with their newly 'broken' families. Within 3 months, he got on one knee and asked her to marry him. They moved to Maine and lived happily together until the day they died. They were my Grammie and Popeye.
My Grandmother always said that it is just as easy to fall in love with the wrong man as it is to fall in love with the right one.
I think she was right. She and my Grandfather were best friends and I honestly believe that it the key to finding the 'right' one.
xoxo
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment