Sunday, October 12, 2008

Superficial

Ok, so I have been home for less than a week and my sister has made sure that I am up to date with everything from Paris Hilton: My new BFF to The Girls Next Door and honestly, I feel that programs like these say a lot about the society we are living in. So many people are obsessed with becoming a part of a world they will never know. While yes, being Paris Hilton's BFF may be the "opportunity of a lifetime" as one contestant put it, it will certainly not last forever.
I feel we live in a superficial world, where most young people, whether they like it or not, are being pushed into unhealthy directions. Many girls are becoming anorexic at younger and younger ages; obsessing over the idea of "perfection". I personally do not believe in perfection.
I have older sisters who have altered themselves to fit a notion that some PR or marketing campaign created and in my mind they are not any happier because of it. While yes, they feel better about themselves to some extent there is always something else.
Yes, there are some positive campaigns such as the Dove Beauty and Think Before You Speak campaign-- they are far and few.

3 comments:

Mirelis said...

I entirely agree! Although I don't watch reality shows anymore, I am ashamed to admit that I used to love watching I Love New York and A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila. None of those shows represented anything I craved to be, but it was interesting to watch people become famous off of nonsense.

yay yay yayyyyyyyy said...

I agree with Mirelis. I use to like watching I love New York and Flavor of Love just to watch people make fools of themselves. But these shows have no value and at a certain point they're no longer entertaining. Now I don't watch reality tv shows at all. God they're so fake!

And I know that I'm not your blog group, but I want to know what OTHER people are thinking lol

LisbethReyna said...

Totally agree Erika and also with the other girls. i really don't watch the show but i have heard so many people talk about this...and how people become famous all of the sudden..i think that's funny!