Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Obama Flip Flop

In the Tuesday, September 23, 2008 New York Times National Section, there was an article which spoke about McCain and Obama's views on the bailout plan.
It talks about how McCain was much more critical than he has been in the past about the issue and says, "When we're talking about a trillion dollars of taxpayer money, 'trust me' just isn't good enough." He also added that "we won't solve a problem caused by an oversight with a plan that has no oversight." I agree, but I do think we need to not be hasty in this decision, because a trillion dollars is a lot of money and it is estimated it will add an average of $2,500 to every taxpayers taxes.

Barack Obama said that officials should "work quickly, in a bipartisan fashion, to resolve the immediate crisis and avert an even broader economic catastrophe." He also addressed that this should not just be a "blank check to Washington." I also agree, as a taxpayer I want to make sure my money goes where i am being told it is going.

I must however point out something I found interesting. Apparently, Barack Obama "proposed spotlighting tax breaks for corporations." This is ironic because he is the same person who is all about small businesses and supporting them, but instead he wants to give tax breaks to corporations, aka, larger businesses.

3 comments:

Mirelis said...

I agree with both parties on different accounts. Just to be clear though, corporations are the ones that need tax breaks right now because of everything that has been happening to corporations and not small businesses. So it's not necessarily a flip flip.

As a tax payer, what do you think congress should do to get the economy back on track?

erikajbush said...

I agree that yes, some sort of aid is necessary, but it did not have to be. We had a choice; the companies had choices. I just do not feel that we should have to continue to pick up the slack for a government not doing their job.

philip.kay said...

I think you may have misunderstood. Obama wants to EXPOSE the tax breaks being given to corporations.